Need a roofer?
When we consult with future clients, they are generally comparing several kinds of roofing systems. We are constantly asked: What are the most popular kinds of business roofing? Which is much better? Which is more reasonably priced? In this post, we will cover 5 kinds of industrial roofing.
At Professional Norwalk Roofers, we have actually been helping customers for decades choose the best roofing for their building and their budget plan. We want everybody to feel empowered when they start getting quotes from their specialists. In this post, we break down the 5 most common kinds of business roofing in addition to their typical expenses * and advantages.
Spray Polyurethane Foam Roof
Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF) is an environment-friendly roof alternative for industrial, commercial and manufacturing centers. Spray Polyurethane Foam, more typically described as SPF, is a product that is sprayed as a liquid so it can expand into a foam, producing a strong layer throughout an existing roof.
While SPF roof is not the most recognized type of roofing product, the technology has been around because the early 1960s for industrial, industrial, and residential centers. An SPF roofing system can be utilized in any climate, and when correctly installed and kept, can last over 50 years.
For an average 20,000 sq. foot commercial roofing, it will generally cost in between $4.00 and $7.00 per square foot * in materials and labor to set up a normal SPF roof. This rate variety is for an SPF roof of typical thickness and building structure.
Learn more: Cost of a Spray Polyurethane Foam Roof
Spray Polyurethane Roof Benefits
There are numerous advantages of SPF roofing systems:
– Energy Efficient– SPF provides thermal, air, and moisture barriers to offer the greatest R-value per inch.
– Long lasting– The foam material can broaden and contract with the building, decreasing the likelihood of fractures and splitting.
– Smooth and Waterproof– The constant strong surface does not need joints or seams, eliminating the most vulnerable area for leaking.
– Ecologically Friendly– In many cases, there is very little stripping of the initial roof– removing the need for costly roof tear-offs and waste. The products that are used for SPF roof systems are also eco-friendly: No Ozone Diminishing Possible (ODP), Low in the Emission of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), Free from Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), Ultra-Low Global Warming Possible (GWP).
Single-Ply Membrane Roof
Single-Ply Membrane EPDM Setup
Single-Ply Membrane is a tried and true roofing alternative for business, commercial and manufacturing facilities. Single-Ply Membranes are sheets of rubber and other synthetics that can be ballasted, mechanically fastened or chemically adhered to insulation producing a layer of defense on your commercial facility.
While Single-Ply Membrane Roof is one of the most widely known kinds of industrial roofing material, there are several types to fit your budget and center requirements. For a typical 20,000 sq. foot business roofing, it will typically cost in between $3.50 to $7.50 per square foot for EPDM and $3.50 to $6.50 per square foot for TPO *, consisting of products and labor warranty.
Find out more: Expense of Single-Ply Membrane Roofing
Single-Ply Membrane Advantages
If properly set up and maintained, an industrial single-ply membrane roofing system can last 30 years. There are many other advantages of single-ply membrane roof:
– Proven Performance History– EPDM roof has actually been utilized for industrial flat roofing for over years. This quantity of time on the market has actually allowed numerous laboratory and field research studies to be performed and tracked.
– Customer Option of Insulation– Given that single-ply membrane roofing does not consist of the insulation factor, as a customer you have more options to select from to insulate your facility’s roofing system.
– Class A Fire-Rated– TPO membranes and EPDM can achieve Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Class A fire resistance listings by adding fire retardant chemicals during the manufacturing procedure.
– Reflective or Absorbent– TPO is generally white and extremely reflective. On the other side of the spectrum, EPDM is typically referred to as “Black Roofings,” due to the natural dark color of the membrane.
Metal Roof is among the earliest commercial roof on the market. Many metal roof use corrugated galvanized steel, although other products such as aluminum or tin can likewise be used.
Because metal roof product is rather light in weight, it can be set up right on top of the existing roofing system. After a metal roof is installed, a finish can be included for waterproofing, rust protection, and UV security.
For a typical business roofing system, it will typically cost between $5.00 and $10.00 per square foot * in materials and labor to install a typical metal roof. This rate variety can change depending upon the type and design of the metal panels you choose.
Metal Roofing Benefits
If correctly set up and maintained, a commercial metal roofing system can last 40 years. There are several other advantages of metal roofing systems:
– Design– Range of material and color options.
– Stability– Ability to hold up to high winds and snow.
– Energy Efficient– Sheet metal can be made from recycled material.
– Fire Resistance– Metal panels are less susceptible to fire damage and do not promote fire occasions.
Shingle roofing is mainly understood for houses and residential roof, however shingles are extremely frequently used for steep slope industrial roof applications. Shingles can be constructed out of a few various materials, including wood, slate, metal, plastic, ceramic and composite product such as asphalt. There are 2 primary types of shingles: Asphalt and Architectural.
Asphalt Shingles: most typical, affordable shingle on the marketplace used for applications. These roofing systems often feature 15– 30-year guarantees on average.
Architectural Shingles: multi-layered and heavier to include durability and weatherproofing to the structure. Typically features “life time” guarantees.
For an average industrial roofing system, it will normally cost in between $2.50 and $5.00 per square foot * in materials and labor to install a normal shingle roof. This cost variety can change depending on the type and design of the shingles you select.
Shingle Roof Benefits
Some benefits of business shingle roofing consist of:
– Style– Wide array of design and colors
– Resilient– Some kinds of shingles are class IV hail ranked
– Easy Repair work– Easy to identify and fix small areas of damage
Tar and Gravel Roofing
Built-Up Roof have actually been in use in the U.S. for over 100 years. These roofing system systems are typically referred to as “tar and gravel” roofings. Built-up systems are installed by rotating layers of asphalt or tar and supporting materials directly onto the roofing system. You can choose the number of layers (or plies) that are installed. The last layer of a built-up roof system consists of stone or gravel.
For an average business roof, it will typically cost between per $5.50– $8.50 square foot * in products and labor to set up a normal built-up roof system. This cost range can alter depending upon the products you choose.
Built-Up Roofing Benefits
If correctly installed and preserved, a business built-up roofing can last 40 years. There are a few other benefits of built-up roof:
– Smooth and Water resistant– The constant solid surface does not require joints or seams, getting rid of the most susceptible area for dripping.
– UV Rays– supplies ultra-violet protection.
– Low- upkeep– Minimal maintenance required after installation.
As you can see, there are a lot of options when checking out a new commercial roofing. Each of the 5 kinds of commercial roof has their advantages and drawbacks, picking which one is best comes down to a customer-by-customer basis.
Professional Norwalk Roofers installs sustainable and efficient roof systems for industrial, industrial, manufacturing and local structures